The gardener's eye

The Gardener's Eye

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Taking the Road Less Traveled on Pack Monadnock



Two roads diverged in a White Wood called Pack Monadnock


The more traveled road


I took the less traveled road




It made all the difference 

Actually, it made no difference; they both went to the same place, the top



Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear,
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost
New Hampshire, 1915

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for whatever impulse caused you to bring these two together. The poem is a fave of mine, and the gorgeous photos remind me I that I really do love winter. Your combination brought me a feeling of great joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, your home must be looking very festive inside and out. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michael
    I think you took the less traveled garden route as well, in creating your lovely plot in the Woods, all though it is build on classic elements (as far as I´m concerned). Gardening on traditions is wellknown to all of us. Taking an alternative route or at least another may bring us new experiences. - I may be wrong, - but I think you´ve done that!?

    A Very Merry Christmas to You and Your Family, - and a Happy New Year.

    Greetings
    Kjeld

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kjeld. That is a high compliment coming from you. I think that is what I am trying to do: a formal and traditional framework tweaked in idiosyncratic ways that appeal to my sensibilities. I believe all great art is build on the foundation of the past. I have appreciated your comments in the past year that both challenge and support what I am trying to do. Thank you very much.
      Happy New Year to you!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails