The gardener's eye

The Gardener's Eye

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Chanticleer's Cut-Flower Garden Before the First Frost

I was in Pennsylvania for the Perennial Plant Conference at Swarthmore College last week. I spent Saturday afternoon at Chanticleer, the 'Pleasure Garden' in Wayne, PA. One of the many highlights of the garden was the Cut-Flower Garden. It overflowing with flowers, foliage textures and teeming with pollinators and birds.


The Head Gardener at the Cut-Flower Garden is Emma Seniuk. Emma worked at Mt. Cuba Center and was a student at Longwood Gardens and Great Dixter before becoming a full-time gardener at Chanticleer. The Cut-Flower Garden is divided into four quadrants and is planted with perennials, annuals,  biennials and bulbs. The central spine of the garden is a series of rebar arches, covered with driftwood that is woven with vines from her father's garden.







Dahlia 'David Howard'


Arundo donax 'Peppermint Stick', the giant reed grass



Canna ‘Bengal Tiger’


 Dahlia ‘Purple Gem’ (I may be wrong about this dahlia)



Eupatorium capillifolium ‘Elegant Feather’


If you are interested in identifying plants at Chanticleer, there are plant lists available at each garden and on line: Cut-Flower Garden Plant List. The plant lists are expertly compiled by Chanticleer Information Coordinator, Eric Hsu. Eric also writes a blog with a gardener friend called Plinth et al. The plant list was a great resource for plant identification when I returned from my trip. I intend to use it again next spring when I am ordering and buying plants for my garden and the gardens in the Peterborough Parks.


2 comments:

  1. We were there on Thursday before the conference, and by the way, I am so sorry our paths did not cross. It would have been nice to meet you. Three of us went to the conference, Longwood and Chanticleer, where we all loved the Cut Flower Garden. One of my co-workers and I had already decided to use Persicaria orientalis next spring in one of our gardens, and seeing it in this garden reaffirmed our choice. We were also smitten with Salvia confertiflora there, and picked one up at Terrain on the to Longwood Saturday. The propagator at work has already taking a dozen cuttings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry we didn't cross paths as well. I didn't ID the Salvia confertiflora until after I wrote this post. I thought it was a persicaria at first. I thought Emma did a wonderful job combining plants. I thought the Eupatorium capillifolium ‘Elegant Feather’ was outstanding. I should get James to do a road trip with me to see your gardens.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails